Mold is a type of potentially dangerous substance that can grow inside your home when conditions are just right. It is more commonly found in homes that have a higher humidity level and in spaces that are warmer. You might notice mold growing underneath your AC unit because the moisture that drips out of the unit helps mold grow. It can also grow inside your kitchen cabinets or along the walls and behind the toilet in your bathroom. Even if you do not see the mold with your own two eyes, you can look for some common signs of mold growth in your home.
Many of the more common signs of mold take the form of cold symptoms and leave you feeling like you have a cold or the flu. The main difference between mold exposure and a cold though is how long those symptoms last. With the common cold, you may experience symptoms for a few days up to a week or longer. If you have mold in your home, those symptoms may never go away. The symptoms can disappear and then come back too.
If anyone in your home has breathing problems, you should get a mold inspection done. Breathing problems can include a cough that produces phlegm in shades of brown or green as well as what feels like constant pressure on your chest. Those breathing problems will worsen as the mold spores spread through your home and can worsen on hotter or more humid days too. Pay special attention to anyone in your home with asthma and related medical conditions too. Mold can make it hard for them to control their conditions.
Not all signs of mold relate to your general health though. You should also keep your eyes out for weakened walls and floors. When mold grows inside the wall or between floorboards, the spores will grow on the wood and other materials. The mold can eventually weaken those boards to the point where some feel spongy to the touch. If you touch the wall or floor and feel it bounce back, you need to call a mold remediation Port St Lucie company for help. These companies can inspect your home, tell you about the mold found and recommend different ways to treat and remove that mold to keep your family healthy.